How we use your data to keep in contact and how you can opt out is very important.
When you communicate with us, use our website and social media we do collect information. It ensures that we understand what works and what doesn’t, what people like you are interested in receiving from us, all of which makes our communications more effective.
We always aim to keep communications relevant and interesting and we will never contact you unless we believe these things exist. All this leads to us becoming more effective and efficient.
We take protecting your privacy very seriously and will always take all reasonable steps within our power to make sure your information is safe.
‘Personal information’ is information, or a combination of pieces of information, that could reasonably allow you to be identified.
If you read this policy you will understand how we collect, use and store your personal information. If you need any further clarification or want to discuss our processes please feel free to contact us on.
Malta Environment Foundation
The Old Plough
St Mary Bourne
We will review this policy as part of our general process regularly and any significant changes we will notify you.
WHO WE ARE
The Malta Environment Foundation (MEF) exists to protect and restore Malta’s natural beauty by funding local nature regeneration projects – on land, and in our rivers and sea.
We raise money from businesses and philanthropists, wherever they are based, who want to help regenerate nature in Malta. Funds are used to support environmental initiatives and promote best practices.
We connect experts, local players, communities, not-for-profit organisations, business and public entities to achieve the best environmental outcomes for Malta.
We partner with local, national, and international organisations to carry out projects that protect our land, rivers, and sea.
We champion environmental causes and technology that will better position Malta for a more sustainable future.
We commission studies, facilitate information and participate in discussions to drive positive environmental change.
REGISTERED CHARITY NUMBER:
The MEF is a branch of the Conservation Collective, a charity registered in England and Wales as a charitable incorporated organisation under charity number 1185925.
WHY WE COLLECT INFORMATION
To protect and restore nature in Malta.
We are building a support group of individuals who are interested in protecting our future by acting now. To do this we need effective communications and fundraising action. By collecting and understanding the information we give you, and you give us, we can communicate better and clearer.
We find various ways to communicate – news, newsletters, magazines, social media and of course our website. But when we feel it is necessary to communicate directly with you, we will. Your feedback is always welcome on how you think this might be improved and we assess how we might improve our communications regularly – so feel free to let us know!
WHEN WE COLLECT INFORMATION, WHAT INFORMATION WE COLLECT, HOW WE COLLECT IT AND WHAT WE USE IT FOR
We aim to collect information every time you interact with us. The type and quantity of information we collect and how we use it depends on why you are providing it.
WHEN WE COLLECT INFORMATION
There are many instances in which we may collect information about you. For example, we may collect information when you contact us via any of our channels which include:
- when we meet you at an event
- when we have a meeting to discuss our work
- when you join our campaigns
- subscribe over our website for information
- when you join any of our social media pages
- apply for a job (paid of voluntary)
- become one of our partners or volunteers
WHAT INFORMATION WE COLLECT
The information we may collect from the above interactions may include, but is not limited to any of the following:
- Your name, address, telephone number, mobile number, and email address, along with your preferences if you need us to contact you in a particular way in the future
- We may collect your year of birth or date of birth in order to verify you are an adult as it is our policy not to market to children and there are some services we are not able to provide to under 18’s
- Financial and credit card information which you give to us, including your gift aid status (note that we do not store credit card information)
- Information you enter onto our website, including information to take part in challenge events or to volunteer with us (such as your date of birth and contact information). When you enter a challenge or community event you may be asked by external organisers to complete the official event console which may require providing information on your medical history and next of kin. This information is never passed to us
- Records of your donation history, correspondence and campaign actions taken with us
- Images, photographs or video if you volunteer or take part in an event with us
- Details of your visit to our websites, including technical information such as the IP address you use to access the website, your device, browser type and version
- We might also obtain personal data about individuals who may be interested in giving major gifts to organisations like ours. In these limited cases only, in addition to information you give us directly, we may also collect information about you from publicly available sources such as your work or interests
- Any other details in which you give us including your reasons for supporting us.
HOW WE COLLECT INFORMATION ABOUT YOU
We use different methods to collect data from and about you including through:
- Direct Interaction
- This includes when we may meet you or if you sign up for a specific campaign.
- Automated technologies or interactions
- Via forms/website/links and email. This informs us what you like, what you are interested in etc.
- Third parties
- We do not pass on your data to any third parties.
WHAT WE USE YOUR INFORMATION FOR
Our aim is to use your data to better communicate with you. This includes:
- Providing you with the information you have requested
- Keeping you up to date with the work you are supporting and the latest MEF news
- Administering your donation, including processing Gift Aid
- Keeping a record of your relationship with us
- Asking for financial and non-financial support
- Managing your communication preferences, including marketing preferences
- Understanding how we can improve our services, products or information
- Sending you tailored communications and displaying relevant adverts which we think will be of interest to you
- Sending you marketing materials including on fundraising, campaigning and events
- Inviting you to events and to take part in campaigns and support our lobbying work
- Analysing our database for statistical purposes and to better communicate with you
OUR LAWFUL BASIS FOR PROCESSING DATA
The new GDPR requires us to let you know what lawful basis we have for processing data. All of our use of personal data is in accordance with the law. The law requires us to only process data where we have a valid legal basis for doing so. Most commonly, we will use your personal data where we believe it is necessary for the legitimate interests and your interests and the fundamental rights do not override those interests.
We define legitimate interests to include the administration of the charity, sending you marketing materials by phone and post, and understanding our supporters.
WHAT WE COMMUNICATE WITH YOU ABOUT
Generally speaking we aim to communicate what we either believe you will be interested in or what you have specifically told us you are interested in.
This includes latest information from the charity, marketing information, campaign information, fundraising, event.
WHO WE SHARE YOUR DATA WITH
THIRD PARTIES FOR THEIR MARKETING
We do not sell or share personal details with third parties so that they can market to you.
KEEPING YOUR INFORMATION UP TO DATE
If you can help us keep up to date that would be great. Just let us know if anything changes and contact us.
HOW LONG WE KEEP YOUR DATA FOR
We will only keep your personal information for as long as is necessary for the purpose for which it is collected, which may include the purpose of satisfying any legal, accounting or reporting requirements. If you request that we stop sending you marketing materials we will keep a record of your contact details and the appropriate information to enable us to comply with your request not to be contacted by us.
HOW TO FIND OUT WHAT INFORMATION WE HAVE ABOUT YOU
You can request the details of the personal information we hold about you.
If you want to access your information, please contact us and send a description of the information you want to see and proof of your identity.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU DON’T WANT US TO PROCESS INFORMATION
We definitely don’t want to contact you if you don’t want to be contacted. Please let us know by contacting us and opting out of any information you are not interested in, including all information.
In addition you have rights under the data protection laws, you can access your personal data, request corrections, deletions etc. We will work with you to ensure we follow your requests.
CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
This policy was updated in September 2020 and will be reviewed regularly. We will email you with any significant changes.
The laws that dictate how your personal information can be used are:
- The Data Protection Act 1998 from time to time in force
- The Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations 2003
- The EU General Data Protection Regulation
We are committed to working with you to obtain a fair resolution of any complaint or concern about privacy.
For full details of our complaints procedure and how to make a complaint please contact us.
You can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office at ico.org.uk to find out more or report a concern. They are the UK’s independent authority set up to uphold information rights in the public interest, promoting openness by public bodies and data privacy for individuals. We work with them to make sure that we collect, store and use your information appropriately and don’t do anything you wouldn’t expect us to.
WRITE TO US
Malta Environment Foundation
The Old Plough
St Mary Bourne